Sunday, October 11, 2015

Returned to Civilization and Missed a Baptism


Hello everybody,

  Saturday I returned to civilization. It is the weirdest thing ever after living on Takapoto with only 400 other people. 

  Saturday night I took my first hot shower in 4.5 months! It was so exciting. That will never get old. It is just the strangest thing ever to be back on Tahiti.

  I have been with Sr. Wilson, from Ogden,UT since I arrived in Tahiti on Saturday. Today or tomorrow I will go with my real companion who is from the island REATEA.

  This morning we ran in downtown Papeete. That was a  fun feeling. There were so many buildings and people. We also saw the cruise boats which were super pretty.

  Sunday afternoon in (TAHITI) Papeete, Sr. Wilson and I had a miracle. We had the first appointment with a man named Marama. He was in the army has a little boy, who he doesn't get to see very often, but he wants to. Sr. Wilson and I just started talking about the gospel with him and how the message we share with people can help him overcome the trials in his life. Then, he brought up that he wants to be baptized. We were happy that we were on the same page. 

  It went great and he even fed us too! People here are awesome. It was his first lesson and he fed us.

   Ok, that is the update for my arrival in Tahiti. I have been getting to work here already. It feels good to change things up, but I miss Takapoto sooooooo much already.

  I am going to rewind to Takapoto.
  Friday night was my surprise night. All the members came together and gave me shell necklaces. It gave my thank you speech to everyone. I couldn't help but just cry as I realized how much me and God love those people of TAKAPOTO. I was so sad to leave them. I am not even sure if they could understand my French/Tahitian because I just cried through it all. 
  They had me sit on a chair after I gave my farewell speech and one by one my neck became laden with shell necklaces. 
  Mami Gloria gave me hers and gave me like ten kisses on the cheek. I love her so much. I just kept crying as everyone continued to do that. 
  My neck had like 40 lbs of shells on it. It was super duper heavy. It felt really good once I took them all off. Somehow I managed to eat with them all on.
  It was good I cried Friday night because Saturday at the airport I didn't cry at all. Poor Mami Gloria though, she was so sad at the airport. She kept crying and crying. She made me so many shell necklaces.
  At the airport, there were many people I said "see you later" to. They gave me like another 50 lbs of shell necklaces and huge leis. I should have been giving them the necklaces because I have just learned so much from them. 

  Getting on the airplane was just surreal. Takapoto has changed my life. I learned how to really pray with all my heart. I learned to speak Tahitian and French there. I learned to be grateful for all that I have, namely running water and electricity and dryers and just everything. Living in scarcity teaches you a lot. I learned how to listen and love the one who no one has ever valued before. I have seen God work miracles in my life and the life of others there. I have seen people with major addictions overcome their habits, through the gospel. God really does change hearts and loves His children. He can even work miracles overnight. I lived that in TAKAPOTO. 

  I know God has answered mine and many others prayers as I served on that little piece of paradise. After serving there 4.5 months I see just a little reason why God really sent me there. 

   Saturday right after I left on the plane. Jean Paul got baptized in the lagoon. I wasn't there because his sister arrived on the same plane I parted on and she wants to learn more about the church and it was  more important for her to see the product of the miracle God has done in Jean-Paul's life. 

  Sr. Stosich called me Saturday night and told me the baptism was great and Jean Paul bore his testimony and the spirit was so strong. It was amazing to hear that. I remember three months ago when we went to contact him and he told us he had denied all kinds of religion for the last 40 years. He was mad at God. Heavenly Father worked a miracle in Jean-Paul's heart and now all he wants to do is serve God. 

  Well, that was my week in a nutshell. Many blessings and miracles. 

  OH yeah. I went to Carrefour today (the Tahitian Wal-Mart) and was just overwhelmed by all the products. After being in such a routine with what I bought for groceries in Takapoto, I went all out on buying fruits and veggies today. Yay  for variety!!

  Well, I hope you all have a great week. AND for those of you who don't know General Conference is next week and there will be three new apostles called. It is a great occasion for everyone to hear inspiring messages for their life. You can watch it this Saturday and Sunday on lds.org. Even if you miss it, the messages from living apostles and the prophet will be on lds.org. I am excited about it. Are you ready?? 

   I love you all lots...and Takapoto :(. 

  Love,
  Soeur Campbell 

The Takapoto Sisters with Jean Paul



The baptism of Jean Paul that Sr. Campbell missed



Sr. Campbell says her goodbyes

No comments:

Post a Comment