Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Birthday, 1 Year Mark, and Transfers

Helllooo everybody,


  This past week I celebrated my birthday (September 16) and my 1-year mark as a missionary (September 17). 

  Things were pretty quite those two days. I was pretty happy about that because I just wanted to really work hard as a missionary on my birthday because I only get one of those in my life. We did have a couple of birthday miracles.

  I will tell you about the miracles later, but first off I just want to express my amazement and gratitude. I cannot believe how far Heavenly Father has taken me in the last year. I would have never thought to the miracles I have seen on this mission when my family dropped me off at the curbside of the MTC. God has truly taken care of me and has stretched me to be someone better. He has changed Tahitians right before my eyes. He really has a hand in each one of His children's lives. It has been a miracle for me to see that within the last year.

  Sr. Stosich and I decided to make a cake for my birthday, so we had bought the $5 betty crocker cake mix from one of the little  "stores" here. We mixed the cake up before we started our personal study at 8am and put it in the oven. Well, we forgot about the cake because we were so immersed in our studies, but the spirit put into my mind to check the cake around 8:45. Good thing. The cake should have been burnt because it was in the oven for like an hour and 15 mins, but it wasn't. It was a birthday miracle!! Our oven runs off of propane and the propane cylinder had run out of propane, leaving our cake perfectly cooked. It was wonderful. 

  We worked hard the rest of the day and then returned home to eat that miracle cake without frosting (we don't have frosting). It was perfect. 

  The other birthday miracle happened the day after my birthday. I knew my family had sent me a package, but the mission home hadn't sent in on the boat yet to get here in Takapoto. They usually tell us 2 weeks in advance when they put a package on the boat, so we know when to pick a package up.

  So the day after my birthday (Thursday), I got a call from the mission office, telling me there was a package for me on the boat that was coming Saturday!!! Yayayay! Miracle. I had no idea about it. 

  The boat was late getting to the island and I actually got the package today (Monday). Thanks family for the package! 

  Wednesday, we talked to a man named Marere. He is a Tahitian papi. The whole conversation was in Tahitian. He was telling us about the importance of marriage between a man and a woman. I was impressed on how current he was with his information. It was a perfect opportunity for us to give him the brochure, The Family Proclamation, or in Tahitian (Te Utuafare). He received it gladly. We committed him to read it and pray about it. 

    That has been our little theme this month, "The Family Proclamation," because it makes 20 years since we have been given that inspired document as a world. I love it. It is a testimony to me that family is the most important social unit in society. Heavenly Father knew what He was doing when He sent each child here to earth with a family. I love my family!

   Jean-Paul, our ami, we have been teaching for the last 3 months, decided to cut his hair in preparation for his baptism. We didn't tell him he had to do that, but he just did it. He has completely changed in the last 3 months. Before he wouldn't even let us pray with him. Now, he has told us that if he has to cut off his foot for the Lord, he will do it. 

  Friday afternoon until Sunday morning, we didn't have cell phone service. Those also happened to be the days the assistants were making the transfer calls. Meanwhile, Sr.Stosich and I were just out here in Takapoto "stranded" and had no idea the whole mission was getting their calls. 
  
This transfer is huge because there are 30 new missionaries coming. 

  Sunday after church I called Sr. Arbuckle (who is serving in Papeete right now) she told me transfers really were happening. 

  Later  that day I got my transfer call....meaning I am leaving Takapoto. :( I will be returning to Papeete to be a Sister Training Leader. My companion is Tahitian from another island called REATEA. We will be serving in the chapel right next to the temple. 

  It is sad to go back to Tahiti, but it will be good for Takapoto to receive a new missionary. Takapoto is beautiful and has changed me as a missionary. 

  I will be taking the plane either this Saturday or next Saturday. There is only one plane a week. 
  I am excited thought to go back and make smoothies like never before. I haven't been able to because there really isn't much fruit here. I am also excited to take a hot shower and to dry my clothes in a dryer.

 Other then that, I will miss this awesome island and fantastic people. 

 Well, everybody. I love you all! Good luck this week! 

Tons of love from the little island of TAKAPOTO,

 Tuahine Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment