Sunday, October 25, 2015

Lots of Splits


Dear family and friends,
  These weeks are going by soo fast. I have gotten to the point where I just love being a missionary and following the missionary schedule. It makes me uneasy though because time is starting to run out. 
  This week was full of splits with missionaries and with members. Splits intimidated me at the beginning of my mission, but now I LOVE them because they are always filled with adventure. 
  Wednesday we did a split with the srs in Pire 2. They live with us. I got to work with Sr. Tidjine. I stayed in our area, but was worried, because I don't know our area that well. She is still in the first 12 weeks of her mission, so she has training we got to do. It was a new experience for me, because I have never trained, but we had a fun time sharing our experiences about principles of missionary work. 
   We started doing weekly splits with our members on Thursday night. This is one of the most effective ways I have found to work with the members and find new amis at the same time. 
  This split was awesome because the members, Bro and Sister TAUMATA, took me to meet a mother and daughter who want to change their lives by following Jesus Christ. The meeting went really well. We did most of it in Tahitian for the mother, and then a good part of it in French for the daughter. They told us they wanted to be baptized and the inactive brother committed to come to church Sunday, because he hadn't been in a long time. Then Sunday he came and loved it. 
   I have learned here that it is important to speak and teach the gospel in Tahitian because for so many it is the language of their hearts. I can't remember which leader talked about this in the 2014 October conference, but these people need the gospel in the language they can learn in. That is why I have learned Tahitian. Now though missionaries will not be called to serve in Tahitian only French. They can still learn the language when they get to Tahiti. 
   Friday we did a split with the sisters in Papeete 1. I stayed in our sector again with Sr. Moutet. Normally she will serve in the Kennewick, WA mission and she is waiting for her visa. 
  Thursday night I was doing planning for the split the next day, because my companion was in bed sick and had no idea who to go see, because I don't know the area that well. I pretty much just ended up on my knees asking God to prepare someone for Sr. Moutet and I to go see.  
  Friday on the split we ended up tracting all day. We did a lot of it in Tahitian. We found a guy reading the bible and talked to him about Job and faith and then he started to ask us about Joseph Smith. We left him with a brochure and continued on our way. We met another lady who used to take the lessons, and was having a family struggle. She was the one God prepared for us, a direct answer to my Thursday night plead. She told us God may have sent us to her house. Talked together of the gospel is a blessing for families and testified of the power of the Book of Mormon to help her in her trails. It was amazing. 
  Sr. Moutet and I were so grateful for that experience we and together on split. 
  We also did a service project Friday, for some members who live right on the ocean. Their house is made out of concrete and they wanted to take their wooden roof off, so they took it off with a chain saw. It was an awesome site to see. We helped clean up their land, because people are saying there is going to be a huge hurricane season this year. Everybody is getting ready for the hurricane. It is a great time for people to prepare spiritually too. 
   One of the missionaries here, Sr. Shariamadari (from Draper, UT) had her appendix taken out and has been staying in the missionary house 3 houses down from us. We have had fun getting to know her and Sr. Cromar (her companion). That has been a huge blessing for me, because we have pretty much laughed together every night this week. They have been stuck home as Sr. Shariamadari is trying to recover from her surgery. They leave today to go to their real area. 
   My companion, Sr. Terooatea and I have started teaching two young men who have dropped out of school but want to be airplane mechanics and pilots. That was something I enjoyed doing, because I love that the things we teach (the gospel) can even help them with that aspect of their life. Plus it is airplanes and that was like a huge part of my life before the mission. There has to be some kind of reason we have started doing lessons with Itiaea and Hiro. 
  Other then that my companion and I will leave next Monday for the split in HUAHINE and then REATEA. We will probably do our email time in the morning or at night when we get to HUAHINE. It will be a fun work trip. I am going to be exhausted. I can feel it now. This mission is so so ironic. haha. 
   OH YEAH I almost forgot, Tuesday Elder Halec of the 70 came and spoke to our mission and gave the mission pep talk of my life. He talked about using time wisely and how we were called on mission for specific people and reasons. It was wonderful. Then Tuesday night we had a leadership conference with him and pretty much did a report on the missionary work over the respective missionaries we are over. It was a good learning experience. It was laid out like a business meeting. 
  Well. People I love you all. The church is true. Keep going. You all can do it. Life is good!!
  Love,
TUAHINE Campbell 

No comments:

Post a Comment