Sunday, June 28, 2015

We Had a Bonfire Without Marshmallows

Cher friends and family,

  We had a huge Tahitian bonfire Saturday night for a missionary activity, to gather the branch together and the whole island. Our ward mission leader went out fishing and caught 40 fish for the night. We also had coconut milk rice. The bonfire was just next to the lagoon and the were many amis who came. It was wonderful to all be together listening to the ukulele and listening to the Tahitian songs as they cooked the fish. I also tried pahua for the first time. It was really good. I didn't really understand what it was, but I think it was soaked in coconut milk and it had a good texture. It comes from the ocean. In french, it is bentier. Ok, my companion just explained it is the thing that I sent a picture of the man extracting from the clam like thing.  

  We ate a lot of rice and fish this past week. I think I could argue we eat more rice than my sister in Japan. Everyone on the island has their favorite fish. If you ask, "Which fish is the best?" Everyone gives a different answer. All the fish tastes good, but I have yet to taste a difference in the kinds of fish. Since we eat fish a lot, I am adapting to pulling the tiny hair like fish bones out of my fish. It takes talent. 

   Sr. Sommers and I were happy the bonfire went well and for all the help of the people who put it on. We spent the night committing amis to go to church the next morning. It worked pretty well. 

  We started reading the Book of Mormon with a man this week. We started talking to him while he was stacking his coconuts. He told us that he didn't want the "missionary lessons," but we found out he had a Book of Mormon and that he didn't really know what it was. So we offered to help him understand where the Book of Mormon comes from. Friday we had our first lesson and he was super attentive. 

  We have a ton of coconuts in our fridge we need to drink/eat. The coconut water here is the best. 

  Saturday morning at 6:30, the boat came to the island with my package. We walked to the port, waiting for them to unload the crates, and claimed the package. Practically the whole island was down at the dock. It was pretty exciting. Thank you, family, Sr. Tareva, and Sr. Reyelts for helping me get that. I  was supper happy to receive American food, clothes, and the other stuff. Thank you. 

  Well, that is about it for this week. We continue to pray with our Branch President and are going to put on a fireside about covenants and covenant keeping Friday.  

  We also the conference issue of the Ensign and that has been a huge blessing to read and see my American people in.

  Love you all,
Soeur Campbell


Cooking the fish at the bonfire and Camille. They use coconuts as firewood #islandlife

After several months of traveling across the U.S.A., the package was finally delivered to the atoll of Takapoto

This is where we had the bonfire Saturday, it is in a member's backyard. Most of the backyards here are like that, everyone's house is by the lagoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment