Tuesday, June 30, 2015

On the Brink

Dear Friends and family,

  So much has happened this week, so many good things.

  First off, there was a transfer. Both Sr. Sommers and I are staying in Takapoto. But we found out during our district meeting over skype on Friday, that the island of AHE is being closed for a little moment. So in our district it will just be Sr. Sommers and I and the Elders of the neighboring atoll, Takaroa. 

  Also, sad/ happy news is that both my old companions, Sr. Richards from UT and Sr. Marrtet from Brisbane, finished their mission today!! I am so happy for them but will miss them and all the things I learned from them. 

  Other quick info. is that most the people here have left the atoll for a week to go participate in "challenges" at Takaroa. Challenges are a sports tournament for all the sports. All the little islands around here have gone to compete at Takaroa. They all took the boat this morning. They will compete in soccer, vaa (like kayaking), and basketball to name a few.
  That leaves us, the missionaries, room to get creative this next week since most of our amis are in Takaroa.

  On Friday we had a missionary night. My companion and I made a powerpoint explaining the importance of making and keeping covenants. Afterward we had a photo contest. The branch had a fun time. Our amis Yves, Gloria, and Lulu were also there. 

   The bread bakery has been closed here. So the only bread on the island has been coconut bread. We met the lady who makes it. It takes her 7 hours to make this bread. It is so good. It tastes like Mom's Thanksgiving rolls with coconut milk in it. yummy.

  My companion had to re-teach me how to make top ramen last night. I never bought or ate it in college, but now I do. 

   For the past three weeks, we haven't seen Eria, because his concubine made us stop the lessons. We respected that decision and didn't try to go see him at all. 

  Monday I came to the realization that God has really given us a miracle and even though we can't control the situation, He can. So Monday night Sr. Sommers and I prayed pouring out our souls to God, asking for the occasion to be able to do something about Eria's situation, but not knowing exactly how to go about it. I felt comforted after praying, knowing that God would answer our prayer.

  Tuesday night we went to go see Pierre. It was dark and as we approached his house we noticed he was standing outside talking to someone. Sure enough, Pierre was talking to Eria. Prayer answered. We were able to see him without "going to see him."  We got to talk to him and encourage him and hear his testimony how he would not stop even though he has a lot of opposition. I felt like I should tell him that even my family in America is praying for him and that they told me they were going too fast for him too. He was strengthened and so grateful for the support of everyone. The Spirit was so strong as we talked to him. 

  Then while still talking in the dark someone approached us on their bike and stopped about 20 yds away. Sure enough, it was his concubine to take Eria away. She wasn't happy at all. She stayed there and dropped her bike. It was like she couldn't move.  

  Fear came into my heart for a couple seconds, then I remembered who's errand we were on as missionaries. 

  Eria's wife just stood there. She couldn't come near us, because where we were standing was a holy place. 

  Eria left with her. She came back and brought us Eria's books and brochures we gave him.

  Sr. Sommers and I were just in awe of the situation and how God answered our prayers. 

  Saturday the branch president told us Eria got kicked out of his house. He stayed in one of the empty houses on the atoll Saturday night. 

  Sunday the miracle happened. Eria came to church for the first time. We walked in as I was playing the sacrament hymn. I couldn't help but feel the spirit as I played. It was truly wonderful.

 The rest of the sacrament program was given by Pres. MAA's family. They sang and talked about Jesus Christ. It was by far the best sacrament meeting I have been to here. I am sure Eria felt the Spirit too. 

  Sunday after church, Eria's concubine invited him back into the house. And this morning he left for Takaroa. 

  All this is evidence to me of God working a miracle here. For the last 6 weeks we have been praying and fasting and praying and things are starting to come in motion. I still can't see the whole picture, but we are being faithful to what we know. 

  Thursday we set up to have a lesson with Lulu. He is 38 and has had missionary lessons for years. He loves being with the members.  Recently he has been super intrigued with the Book of Mormon. We asked him to pray and ask if it was true but he hadn't. So Thursday as we set up an appointment I told him before the lesson Friday he needed to pray about the Book of Mormon. 
  Friday we had our lesson with Lulu at the chapel. And there was something different about him. He was happier. Within moments I knew he had done what we asked him to do. Later on in the lesson, he exclaimed, "Je fasait qu'est-ce que vous m'avez demande a faire!" or "I did what you asked me to do!" 

   Those words are the best words you can hear as a missionary. After Lulu shared his experience with us. Earlier that morning he had found a spot next to the runway and prayed and asked if the church was true. The spirit told his heart the church was true. He was sooo happy.
  Things here are going wonderfully. I am so grateful to be able to spend another couple of transfers her in Takapoto ( I hope). 

  Have a great week all y'all at home. peace and blessings! peace and blessings!

Souer Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment