Monday, June 24, 2013

Hello College!

      It is Monday and also the first day of classes at Brigham Young University for summer term. Somehow I have found myself here at this university. I don't know where to start, but I guess I'll start out explaining how I came to go to summer school. When I was accepted to BYU I was just admitted to Fall semester, but after thinking about it I decided it would be better for me to get out here earlier to establish myself with a job and take some "easy" classes before like 4,000 other freshmen show up and this campus explodes with chaos. All I did was email BYU and they quickly accepted me. That is how I got here.
     The last couple days though have been busy and filled with many firsts: my first apartment, classes, job training, and student ID. 
Honestly my thoughts and feelings about this tremendous change right now are:
1. I LOVE the mountains in Utah paired with non humid weather and the perfect temperature are ideal for walking around. 
2. Living on my own is pretty sweet, but I still love my home and town where I was raised and am super grateful for the spectacular childhood I have had, so in that sense I will always miss those memories and friends.
3. Going to church without air conditioning for three hours and then staying for another 2 hour meeting makes you feel sick and hungry.
4. I LOVE that I am enrolled in two religion classes. One is for The Book of Mormon  and the other is a survey of world religions. It is so wonderful to learn about these things that mean so much to me on a whole new level.
5. BYU is huge and it is crazy to think how many people do so many diverse things here.
6. I live right next to some of the new missionary housing and it was so cool yesterday to watch missionaries come home from the broadcast yesterday (for those who don't know the church broadcasted a seminar yesterday all about missionary work from the Marriott Center at BYU).
7. I miss Dad unclogging the shower (our shower doesn't drain well and I am actually going to have to put forth effort to call maintence because I cannot figure it out!)
     I also want to give a shout out to my friend Colby for kindly reminding me to just keep blogging, because I seriously lack confidence in writing and that made my day.
     Ok, one other story about today. My last class of the day was Zumba, so after spending all day on campus I got to this class. I thought that I had Zumba-ed before so it would be a nice little fun class. Yeah no. I was whipped by the end of it and problem wasn't even doing it right. Afterwards I was so tired and thirsty and had to walk like 30 mins to get home. I got semi lost on the way home and that was no fun. By the time I reached my apartment I wanted water and water and food. I thought the apartment would be open and it wasn't, so I took my backpack off in search of the keys and thankfully someone opened the door for me. AHHHHHH  it felt soooo soooooo good to be home. 
     Tomorrow I go to my first day of work serving food at the missionary training center. It will be an early morning, like by early 4 am. WHAT!? I know, but at least I'll have the rest of the day to read and rest. 
    
BYU baby! 

My sweet sister Abbee took this. I think it is on BYU campus  like within the last couple weeks.


1 comment: