Sunday, March 6, 2016

How to Take Down a Shark (based on a true story) and Other Things That Happened This Week

Iaorana Tou utuafare.


You all are never going to believe the stories that Pres. Chong and his son told me last night. It was wonderful and they were all about sharks.

In the tuamotus, many of the islanders here go spear fishing with sharks and Pres. Chong is one of them. The sharks are attracted to spear fishing, because when the arrow wounds the fish it creates a scent and the sharks come. 

Apparently, the lagoon sharks aren't that bad, they just tap then and they swim away, but if you are scared they can sense it. 

Here is the story of how Pres. Chong took down a shark bigger than him. He was spear fishing with a friend and while in the water he saw his friend swim quickly to the shore, then saw the reason why. There was a shark on the attack because his friend had a little boat full of dead fish that they caught and it had tipped over. When sharks attack they close their eyes and just follow their instincts and so that is how the shark attacked.

Well, the friend made it safely to shore and then the shark turned back around to attack Pres. Then this is the part that is super duper crazy. Pres. took his spear gun and shoot the arrow into the shark's gills to get a hold of it. Then took the shark attached to his arrow and dragged the shark to shore, where his friend was waiting and beat the shark up. 

Both survived and the shark was conquered. 

There you go a good story for you. I was also thoroughly briefed all about the sharks in the lagoon and ocean and many other stories were told. They talk about it like it is nothing here. I am just still in awe.


The work here in Hao is still in the process. We are starting the 21-day prayer with the branch to get references of people we can teach, as that is what the mission is focusing on right now. We have been working hard with branch counsel to move the work forward here.

It seems like a good part of the people we teach aren't very serious. We were mocked quite a few times this week.

The people here are so kind, though. Natalie, one of the inactives we work with, took us to one of the restaurants here this week. It was quite the event and we felt honored to have been invited. As people don't go to the restaurant often here. We ate raw fish and steak and fries. The meat here on the island is super expensive, so it was quite the treat. 

Thursday I put my suitcase on the NUKU HAU, a cargo ship. to get to Tahiti before I do. It will arrive in Tahiti March 5. 

I really just want to cry thinking about this mission being over. It has been the best thing I have done in my whole life. I have felt closer to the Lord than ever before. The people here have stolen my heart and even though it has been really really hard sometimes, I have seen how much God really loves these people and my family and me. He is always there to bless us and give us comfort and to move His work forward. 

The NUKU HAU also brought a huge blessing for HAO. The first ever piano for the atoll came on it. You can guess it was the branch's piano and I got to play piano in sacrament meeting!!!!!! YES YES YES. What a huge miracle. I have missed playing the piano and everyone agreed that having the piano as prelude music on Sunday gave the whole meeting a different and more reverent atmosphere. 

So Pres. Ine (the branch president) and I talked and made the arrangement for me to teach piano every day before I leave for the members. 

That was a miracle for me, because it helps me feel like I am contributing something. What a blessing!!

Well, my family and friends. I love you all  so much. Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sr. Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment