Sunday, August 23, 2015

"The Picture Perfect Scene"

Dear Family and friends,
  So last week I couldn't send an email because the power was out most of the day and the were fixing the generator for the atoll. Then when we did go in to do our email, the computer had a problem I think to the loss of power earlier in the day. Then we didn't have much time and p-day ends at 6pm. Yeah, it was all a thing, but things are great now.
  So I cannot believe it is already that time, but my sister Erin, who has been serving in the Nagoya JAPAN mission for the last 18 months goes home today!! I am so happy for her. Her example has motivated me and helped me to be the missionary I am since the beginning of my life. So SHOUT OUT to Campbell shimai. I LOVE  YOU!!!!
  One of the best things of my week has been teaching Gloria every day. I just love her. She is like 65 and we are pretty sure she has had a stroke, making it hard for us to communicate, but her testimony is so strong in the Book of Mormon. 
  We teach her in Tahitian, so we really have to focus on the Spirit, but it has helped me listen better and study more. I love it, I love Gloria. Like I said last week, she never really wanted to be baptized, but because she has been reading the Book of Mormon, she has had a change of heart. Now she tells us every lesson how much she loves TE BUKA A MORMONA. 
  Her love for the book has grown as we have given her 2 or three verses to read after every lesson. It is just glorious. 
  Another miracle this week was that we found Loic! He has been like gone somewhere on this atoll for the last 3 weeks. It was great to see him. He is the one who caught the huge tuna a while back. He loves to fish. 
  So Saturday we decided to fast with one of our amis. I explained how fasting was for 24 hours without water or food and that we fast for an objective when we fast. Then I asked our amis, "So why do you want to fast?" We had already talked about dedicating this fast to overcome obstacles for baptism. Our ami responded, "to loose weight!" 
  In that moment....as a missionary I was super concerned. Then we resolved concerns and started the fast, but looking back that was so funny.
   Oh, so HEIVA (the games and dance community thing they have been doing for the last month) ended. Every team who was in it got a cow-calf to roast as a prize. So Friday we ate the calf for lunch. It was my first time eating it and it was pretty good. Actually, probably the best meat I have had on this mission, besides the fish. Then the next morning my stomach didn't feel well. oops!
  Saturday we had a lesson with one of our recent converts. We started the lesson with a hymn  and prayer and then our convert tells my companion,"You  smell like a tourist. Hasn't anyone told you before that your perfume smells like a tourist." She didn't understand so I translated. We were both really confused because she hadn't put on perfume. Then it occurred to us it was her American deodorant. Then we really started laughing. haha. Oh, the things we hear as two white sister missionaries on this atoll. It is priceless.  
 This week we contacted Cheyenne. She has seen miracles in her house, because of the example of Vaitea (our ami, who has been reading the Book of Mormon every day). 
 So we had our first lesson with her and explained the restoration and it went well. But as a missionary, you never really know if it went well until the next appointment if that ami is there. So we went back for the 2nd appointment and she wasn't there. Then yesterday Sunday we decided to stop by and see if she was home. She was home, but they were eating, so we said we would come back later that day.
  Well, the day went on and we had about an hour left before we were supposed to go home and I remembered we needed to go see Cheyenne. 
 As Sr. Stosich and I were riding our bikes over to Cheyenne's house, wondered if she would really be there. As we approached her house, we see her in her yard with two chairs for us and trying to read the Book of Mormon. It was a picture perfect scene for a missionary to see. And she was there!!
  It was a miracle. I was just ready to cry as we testified of the Book of Mormon and the church. My heart was in my mouth. It was the greatest feeling ever.  
  And that is how we ended the week. I couldn't be any happier. 
  I love you all. Thank you all for every prayer, letter and the encouragement! Have a great week!
 Love,
 Tuahine Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment