Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Last Week Happenings

Dear friends and family,

  I am so happy  I can write you all this week. I can't believe it is already March. I passed 3 months being in Tahiti this week. March means the semester is half way over at BYU. Wow! Time flies. 

  Monday night I was feeling sick with a sore throat and nasty headache. It was the first symptoms of a cold. I know it. I took a french pill for a cold at night with also some kind of sleeping stuff in it. I was worried I was going to be sick and not be able to work. I prayed right before I went to bed that I would be ok to work. Tuesday morning I woke up and had the best sleep ever. I didn't feel anything like the night before. My head felt clear and we had our studies (each morning we do 2 hours of study, one hour of personal and one hour as a companionship) and I had my best study ever. I felt soo good. Then we worked hard in the sun the rest of the day just like that. My throat is still a little sore, but I can't figure out why.

   My dad was asking me about the religions in the area. People  here are religious. For example, we have people come to church regularly who aren't even baptized. They come because they like church. Everyone here claims their ancestor's religion as their own, even if they don't practice or really know the doctrine the church teaches.  We have Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholic, Protestants, Sanito (RLDS), and 7th Day Adventist and us. It is a pretty diverse Christian island. Most the people are Catholic or Protestant, but I hear to Sainitos and JWs a lot, but haven't come in contact with too many.
   
   Friday we had an activity at the church for the investigators. It was on family history. It felt soo good to think about family history. I miss doing that. The church really has some awesome ways to find out your ancestors through some good sites. They do a good job of that. Sr. Marrett ended up making chocolate chip cookies for this activity. People here don't really eat choc. chip cookies because they don't know how to make them and also baking here is different. Measuring cups or recipes aren't really a thing at all or temperatures in an oven. Needless to say, choc chip cookies are a scarcity and they were eaten fast, even the ones we accidently burnt a little. 

  Also this week our amis, Moearii was eating something from a white mug. She asked us if we wanted any and trying to be nice, I just took some without even seeing it or asking what it was. When I saw it was these yellow looking things it looked like some kind of plant. I tried it and it tasted like strong salty ocean water with a soft texture and was a little fishy tasting. It was really salty. Come to find out it was sea urchine from the island of Huahine. Yeah, she offered it again, but that time I ate it with lime and it was much much better smothered in lime, because the lime disguised the taste. Who ever knew I would find myself eating that. 

   I know this email was a little short this week. Things are still going. The area I am in is great. I love Tahiti. I feel like I am at girls camp at times with the humidity and no AC, but it's cool, because I loved girls camp growing up. Like girls camp, you are there to grow and to feel the spirit and help others and in a mission, I have taken those good things I learned at girls camp and are applying them. I hope all you are doing well and find yourselves safe and warm and loved!!

Love,

Soeur Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment