Friday, January 30, 2015

From Tipaerui to You!

Last week I wrote to my family about a mission couple who was lost at sea for two days asking them to pray for that couple. Well, I found out the story. The couple was out in the islands going by boat from a baptism to return home. It was a private boat and the man who owned the boat was actually the man who just performed the baptism. They got caught in a storm and were lost at sea for 2 days. Thankfully they had just gone to the store and had food on the boat. They were found last Monday. An interesting story is that Saturday night we got a call from the elders telling us about the situation and to pray for this couple. The three other sisters and I who live in the house all knelt down and prayed for this couple to be found. It was powerful. It was raining outside, and I could only imagine what it must have been like out at sea. Of course, God heard our prayer and many other's prayers and the boat lost at sea was found. The couple and boat driver are fine and I guess are continuing their mission. There is a miracle story for you!
  Other good new is, I think it was Thursday, we heard there was going to be a hurricane to hit Tahiti. We didn't get a call from the elders, so we just kept working. Sure enough, it was sunny all day. But even better news is that it has been raining off and on all week, because of the tropical storms and what not, but I don't think I even got soaked once this week! It would rain super hard when we were  in lessons, but when we had to get on our bikes it wouldn't be raining. We did get soaked Tuesday. We were probably out on our bikes for 4 mins. but that will do it. We had our interviews with President Bize and were in a hurry to get there and didn't have time to change. We totally ended up there soaked. But the rest of the week it was great. The timing to get places was just perfect for the rain. 
   Last Monday we went to Mac Do's (that is what they call MacDonald's here). I couldn't bring myself to eat a hamburger, but I got a small smoothie and small fry. It cost $7 for just that. MacDonald's is the only American fast food they have here. It felt soooo sooo soooo sooooooooo good to drink a smoothie. I hadn't had one since probably August. 
  Ok, I know everyone wants to hear about the people here. We really have a good sector here. We get to work with a lot of people. Here are a couple of highlights from the week. 
  We have been sharing messages on the side of the road with a lady named Noeline V. Her concubine's (they call boyfriends concubines!) brother just died and she has a  younger daughter. We told her about God and she is a daughter of Heavenly Father. I could see on her face that this was something new for her, but she felt the truthfulness of it. We asked her to pray and ask it she really was a daughter of God. Then she told us she had never prayed before in her life, so we taught her how to pray. We haven't followed up yet, but we will see her this week. I am excited for her. 
  We had lessons with Valentina (the orphaned 17-year-old) this week too. She is really smart and pretty much knows all the things we teach her. This week we put emphasis on the Book of Mormon. We went to read it with her. One of the visits, I bore testimony of it. I said, "this book was written for us by prophets who saw our day, they gave their lives for this book." I could tell words were being put into my mouth as I said this. I just kept opening my mouth and looked at Valentina with all the care and love I could as I testified. I saw her eyes start to water and lip start to quiver. She felt the spirit or the love of God. Best feeling in the world right there. It was such an interesting way to testify of the Book of Mormon, but I guess that is what she needed and Heavenly Father sure helped me to say it. After that visit she read 13 chapters in one night and the verse that really stuck out to her was I think 1 Ne 9:5, which is when Nephi is talking about how, "I don't know exactly the reason why I am writing these things, but I know it is a wise purpose and God knows that purpose." That was just a testimony builder to me that, Heavenly Father knew what I needed to bear testimony of. 
   My trainer told me this week, "I can tell when you are being inspired because your french gets a lot better." I have to agree with her. When there is a need for my French to help someone, it gets a lot better. That is what we call the gift of tongues. 
   Lelani asked Sr. Richards and I to pick a man to baptize her for her baptism. It is a huge honor for us because Lelani just wants her baptism to be perfect. The baptism will be on her birthday, which is also her son's birthday if things go as planned. It is 15 Feb. which is a Sunday. Church starts at 7:30 am, but she wants to be able to go to sacrament meeting after her baptism, so she wants to get baptized at 6 am. I am down for that. Whatever floats her boat. It is like her birthday, baptism and son's birthday so we can do that. We just have to ask our zone leaders for the ok. She also gave us a list of qualities the man who baptizes her must have like innovative, respectful, noble that was just a few. There was like 9 qualities he needs to have. Sr. Richards and I just laugh, because it is all on us to find this perfect priesthood holder. I feel like we are picking out a husband for her or something, good thing single wasn't a qualification. haha. 
    Today the city had a celebration for some reason. I thought it was the mayor's birthday, but now  I really don't know. It was really cool and authentic. They had the Tahitian dancers and everyone was in their local dresses and there  were all the island flowers and stuff. It was really cool. I totally felt like a tourist, though. It was a weird feeling. 
    Well, I don't know what else to say. I am going to try to send some pictures home. I hope everyone is loving their life. I found this quote this week and love it a lot so I will write it. "So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment." - President Thomas S Monson. I love that. That is life for you.  
~Sœur Campbell

    Me today after the celebration. My hair is down that was weird and hot


                    Seventeen dollars for those little nail polishes hoollyyy coowzzz
 We bought these at the little Costco it was great I was happy to get some American food
 At the celebration it was super cool and Tahitian:; every girl here is a Tahitian dancer


             

No comments:

Post a Comment